As a Stampin' Up! Demonstrator, I often have snacks at my events and always get asked for recipes. So, I have decided to post some of my favorite recipes here to share with you. I won't be posting on any sort of schedule, but do check back often to see what's cookin' at LA Stamper's house!

Please note, that I often cook by sight and make things up. I will do my best to show you and give approximate measurements for recipes where I do this!

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Caramel Apple Scones

For World Card Making Day this year we had a Carnival theme complete with carnival type snacks.  What's a carnival without Caramel Apples, right?  Well, rather than making Caramel Apples, I tried this recipe for Caramel Apple Scones.  OMG...YUM!!!  They are soft and moist and oh so delicious!


The original recipe is from www.recipegirl.com.  I changed it a bit, so here's what I did!

Caramel Apple Scones
1 large Gala Apple
3 cups flour (I used 1 cup whole wheat, 2 cups all purpose)
1/3 cup sugar
2 tbsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 cup cold Butter (cut into chunks)
1 cup Vanilla Greek Yogurt (choose a creamy one...I used Oikos because I love it!)

-Preheat the oven to 350.
-Mix dry ingredients well.  Cut in butter with a pastry cutter until you have coarse crumbs.
-Core, peel and cut your apple into small chunks.  Add to the dry ingredients.
-Stir in the yogurt.  Dough will be dry and seem like it isn't working...but it is!  Use your hands and gently work the dough until it comes together.
-On a lightly floured surface pat the dough into a rectangle (about 1/2-3/4 inches thick).  Using a shape knife, cut the dough in half the long way, then cut into squares and cut the squares into triangles (I got 16 triangles).
-Gently place the triangles of dough onto a pan, leaving some space between to allow for expansion during baking.  Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until they are no longer doughy in the middles (just lightly touch with your finger...it will feel kind of springy when it's done).
-Allow them to cool and drizzle caramel icing over them.

Caramel Icing
4 tbsp Butter
1/2 cup Brown Sugar (packed)
2 tbsp milk or cream
1/4 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt
1/2 to 3/4 cup Powdered Sugar

-In a small pan, melt the butter.  When butter is melted, add the brown sugar and milk (or cream).  Stir over medium heat for about 1 minute.
-Transfer to a mixing bowl and allow to cool for a couple minutes.  Stir in the vanilla and 1/2 cup of the Powdered Sugar.  Beat until well blended.  To reach the desired consistency, add more powdered sugar if needed. 
-Drizzle over warm scones


**These scones are divine enjoyed warm, but the are also quite good the next day.  Store in an airtight container until ready to serve.

1 comment:

  1. These were a big hit with my boys and I loved them too!

    ReplyDelete