As a Stampin' Up! Demonstrator, I often have snacks at my events and always get asked for recipes. So, I have decided to post some of my favorite recipes here to share with you. I won't be posting on any sort of schedule, but do check back often to see what's cookin' at LA Stamper's house!

Please note, that I often cook by sight and make things up. I will do my best to show you and give approximate measurements for recipes where I do this!

Thursday, October 9, 2014

Spice Cake

Today I'm sharing my tried and true Spice Cake recipe that my Coffee & Cards ladies enjoyed at the September Coffee & Cards event.  I'm not even sure where I got this recipe...I have it written in my "Favorite Recipes" recipe book!  It's quick and easy and one I use every fall....or when I get a craving for spice cake!


Spice Cake
2 cups Flour
1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Ground Nutmeg
1/4 tsp Ground Cloves
1/4 tsp Ground Ginger
1/2 cup Butter or Margarine, softened
1 1/2 cups Sugar
1/2 tsp Vanilla
1 1/4 cups Buttermilk (or sour milk...1 tbsp vinegar or lemon juice and enough milk to make the total you need for the recipe)

-Preheat the oven to 350.  Grease a 9x13 pan.
-Stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and spices.  Set aside.
-Cream the butter and sugar together in a mixer until well combined.  Add vanilla.  Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each egg.
-Add the butter mixture to the dry ingredients alternating with the buttermilk.  Mix well after each addition.
-Pour into prepared pan and bake for 35-40 minutes.  Cool on a wire rack.  Frost as desired.  Cut into pieces and serve.


I like to frost this cake with a simple Cream Cheese Frosting.

Cream Cheese Frosting
1 block Cream Cheese (8oz)
1/2 cup Butter, softened
3-4 cups Powdered Sugar

Whip the Cream Cheese and Butter together.  Slowly add the Powdered Sugar until you reach the desired consistency (I like to stick with 3 cups because I like the frosting not so sweet!).

No comments:

Post a Comment